A Whole-Child Approach to Learning
At The Bensonhurst School, we believe success starts with honoring the needs of the whole child. That includes:
- Helping every child meet or exceed grade-level academic standards.
- Providing opportunities for creativity through music, dance, theater, and the arts.
- Creating a safe, inclusive space that meets children’s social and emotional needs.
- Developing critical thinking and communication skills and the habits of lifelong learning.
- Honoring each child's background and home language while developing English skills.
- Taking full advantage of the rich cultural and learning opportunities in NYC.
Welcome to Our Community
Our Amazing Students
Core Academic Subjects
Our curriculum is academically rigorous and meets all New York State and NYC DOE educational standards. Our core programs include:
- English Language Arts: We have created a custom curriculum based on the Teachers College Reading and Writing workshop model
- Math: Envision Math
- Science: Amplify Science and National Geographic Panorama; upper-grade students have classes in our fully equipped science lab
- Social Studies: NYCDOE’s Passport to Social Studies
Music, Theater, the Arts, and Movement
We believe that music, arts, and movement are an important part of children’s academic and emotional development. We have full-time teachers for music, dance, visual arts, theater and physical education.
- Students start out each day with movement during our morning “movement and leadership” period. They also have one to two periods of formal physical education each week.
- Students in most grades have two periods per week of visual arts or music. Visual arts are taught during first semester and music is taught during second semester.
- Students in most grades have two periods per week of theater or dance. Dance is taught during first semester and theater is taught during second semester. Students stage dance or theater performances several times each year.
- All students have recess in the courtyard daily.
Leader in Me
We are proud to be a Lighthouse School for the Franklin Covey Leader in Me process! Based on the popular and proven 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, Leader in Me introduces effective habits for life, learning, and relationships in an age-appropriate format. We have partnered with Franklin Covey since 2015 to bring this resource to our students. The seven habits are now embedded in everything we do. They form the basis of our social-emotional learning (SEL) curriculum. Leader in Me empowers students with success skills they will carry with them for life.
We have a technology-infused curriculum that uses many interactive programs to support learning.
- All students have access to either a laptop or an iPad while they are at school.
- Classrooms are equipped with smartboards.
- We have a fully equipped media lab.
- All students take a media literacy course to help them learn to be smart digital citizens and use online information effectively.
English Language Learners
We have many programs to support students and families learning English. All of our teachers have attended special training to learn how to help English Language Learners in the classroom. We also have a certified English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher for newcomers. All students needing language support are assigned a peer partner for language practice and help in getting around the school and understanding assignments. Programs include:
- Push-in and pull-out support for English Language Learners
- A spring Saturday Academy for new immigrant students and their families
- A before-school English Language Learner program for students needing additional language practice
- Adult English classes for families
We offer a full range of Special Education (SPED) services for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). We also provide academic support for any student struggling to master grade-level standards. Your child’s teachers will work with you to identify your child’s needs and make sure they are getting the help they need to be successful.
- SPED programs include both self-contained classrooms and Integrated Co-Teaching (ICT) classrooms. ICT classrooms have both a general education and a special education teacher to meet the needs of all students. Small-group targetted intervention is provided through SETSS.
- We use a “Response to Intervention” (RTI) model for academic support. Children who are struggling to meet grade-level standards in English Language Arts or Math will receive additional targeted instruction in these areas.
Before and After School Programs
We partner with The Federation of Italian American Organizations (FIAO) to provide after-school enrichment activities on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Enrollment is limited to 100 children on a first-come, first-served basis.
We do not have a formal after-school care program, but we can recommend some programs in our community.
Our doors open at 7:40 a.m. for drop-off and free breakfast is provided. We also offer a before-school program for English Language Learners.